Coachella Q&A: Zella Day
From the moment we heard the opening chords of "Sweet Ophelia" waltz across our eardrums, we’ve been hooked on Zella Day and her antique-dusted songwriting eversince. We've also had the honor of Zella headlining a showcase of our own, and everything you heard about her holds up. Way up.
Recently, we hosted a short Q&A with the singer leading up her performance at this year's infamous Coachella Music Festival. Here's how it all went down:
1. When the Coachella lineup was announced, what’s the best reaction you received from a fan, friend, or family member?
I was getting photos from some of my fans with the “Kicker” face paint painted on their faces hash-tagging “#ZellaCoachella”. I was eating barbecue in Texas when I found out about the great news.
2. Are you a Coachella newbie? If so, what are you most excited or most nervous about? If you’re a veteran, what’s the one story that encapsulates your past Coachella experience? You know, the tale that all your friends make you tell over and over again.
I’m most excited for the weekend to finally be here. There is so much preparation going into the performance that I’m very much looking to finally being on stage.
3. What’s in your Coachella survival bag and does that bag include any extra special add-ons for your set that we can look forward to?
There are lots of special pieces that are being made for the Coachella. I have built amazing relationships with designers since living in LA and I have recruited a select few to contribute to one of the biggest performance of my career thus far.
4. What fellow Coachella artist are you most likely to watch front & center both weekends?
Guns N’ Roses, Grimes, Deerhunter, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Lord Huron, Beach House, 1975, Wolf Alice, Cold War Kids, and Sia.
5. Post-Coachella, anything exciting on the horizon we should know about and share with the universe? Do you promise to tell KKS next time you play in LA? Pinky promise?
I’m going on tour both with Michael Franti and afterwards my own headlining tour. I will be calling you guys first thing when I know my show date for LA. Love ya xoxo.