Here’s some good advice: Always be yourself. That is, unless you can be Kayper. Then you should definitely be Kayper aka Kaajal Bakrania. She’s one of the few DJs to accomplish more in a handful of years than what most strive for over their entire career. Whether she’s hosting a radio show, traveling the globe for DJ gigs and industry appearances, being featured on national TV commercials or snagging the title of first female winner of the Vestax Juice DJ Competition, Kayper’s finger is on the pulse and she continues to step into prominence time and time again, and in florescent fashion.
We had the chance to host a Q&A with Kayper to discuss what’s on the horizon for this multi-talented renaissance woman, including her upcoming performance at Brent Bolthouse’s exclusive Neon Carnival event held during the first weekend of the infamous Coachella Music Festival. Here's the shakedown:
1. Thanks for taking the time out to talk with us, Kayper! Your accomplishments are inspiring not only to your fans and music lovers alike, but also to the majority of all of us chasing and accomplishing our own dreams and aspirations. How do you divide your time to tackle everything on your plate? What's a day in the life of Kayper look like?
On a normal day I wake up at 9am, go to the gym, go to my studio by 2pm, work till about 9pm and then go home unless I am djing somewhere.
2. With your appearances and countless gigs per year, what do you keep in your travel survival bag? Does that bag include any extra special add-ons for your Neon Carnival set this year that we can look forward to? Any peeks into your set that you can share with us?
Pain killers and face wipes! I always bring a jumper to Neon Carnival every year because the first time I ever dj'd there it was freezing and the sound guys had to put heaters literally in my face to keep me warm. I can't give you any peeks into my set because I never know what I'm going to play until I see the crowd.
3. Speaking of Neon Carnival, have you ridden any of the rides? The Zipper? Be honest.
I have never been on any of the rides. I'm scared of heights!
Will you be attending this year’s Coachella Music Festival? If so, what artist(s) are you most looking forward to seeing front row center?
I am hoping to go to the festival for one reason this year and that is LCD Soundsystem. I'm a big fan!
5. For someone who has traveled the world and graced the stage of so many incredible venues, was there a particular moment along the way when you had to pinch yourself to make sure it wasn’t all a dream? And is there still a venue out there that’s on your bucket list to play?
I'm not really one to get star struck by celebrities, it doesn't really faze me to be around them. However, there was one occasion when I was personally booked by Chris Martin (Coldplay) to dj at Gwyneth Paltrow's 40th birthday. I didn't actually know what the gig was for until I got there and was told. At the time I was a radio presenter on the BBC and Chris Martin walked over to me and told me how he listens to my show every week with Gwyneth and that he had booked me as a surprise for Gwyneth. I thought that was pretty cool of them to give a shit about me. There were only about 40 people at the party but all of them were super famous legends and that was the only time I pinched myself a little.
6. I’m sure there are many, but who was your all-time favorite pop act growing up? Why were they everything to you? Would you say they are your biggest influence to date? If not, who holds that crown and why?
My fav pop act growing up was Janet Jackson. The first time I ever went to a concert was to see her when I was 9 years old at Wembley Arena for the Janet Tour. I was amazed with all the pyrotechnics, lighting and her dancing was so on point! To this day there is no female entertainer that comes close to her as an all round performer. She has always been a trendsetter and you can see how much influence she has had on the newer generation of artists. Not just musically but with fashion, videos, concerts, etc.
7. Lastly, the obligatory question of What can we expect from you in the coming months/year ahead? Anything exciting on the horizon we should know about and share with the universe? Do you promise to tell KKS next time you play in LA? Pinky promise?
I have new music coming soon and obviously more gigs and touring throughout the year. I will let you know the next time I'm in LA for sure!