Splash House Q&A: Lost Kings
Our first introduction into the world of Lost Kings was their remix of Oliver Heldens's "Gecko (Overdrive)" which we posted almost two years ago in September of 2014. Two premieres and a total of 14 posts later, it seems the mainstream is finally catching up as Robert Gainley and Nick Shanholtz continue to be found by respected taste-makers and music lovers alike. Although the DJ / producer duo will counter that "not all who wander are lost," to which we agree, the sweet spot of this success story is watching their hard work and determination prevail by getting the platform and exposure they deserve.
We had the chance to host a Q&A with Lost Kings leading up to their performance at this month’s Splash House - a Pool & Music Festival hosted across two venues in Palm Springs for one amazing weekend. We covered everything from their best fan reactions, what’s in their travel survival bag, to what’s next on the horizon. Check it out:
1. Thanks for taking the time out to talk with us! First question, and it’s 100% real… Do you sleep? Your accomplishments are inspiring not only to your fans and music lovers alike, but to young aspiring artists. How do you divide your time to tackle everything on your plate? In diary format, can you take us through a typical day in the life?
6AM: sleep unless we have an early flight 8AM: same as 6am, sleep unless we are flying 11AM: go to the gym 2PM: work on music 5PM: work on music 8PM: have dinner than work on music 11AM: still working on music usually to 2am. Repeat every Monday-Thursday.
2. When the Splash House lineup was announced, what’s the best reaction you received from a fan or friend?
Well we live in LA, So it's like a local festival. So we have a ton of friends who are stoked about coming to see us. They all pretty much had the same reaction but one of our buddies sent us a list of our own songs we need to play. He was very enthusiastic.
3. Playing so many gigs per year, what do you keep in your travel survival bag? Does that bag include any extra special add-ons for the desert, and your Splash House set that we can look forward to? Any peeks into your set that you can share with us?
You need vitamins, always have emergen c. Maybe for Palm Springs well pack some bandanas so we don't swallow any dust and definitely will be packing that spf 50. For the set, it's gonna be different than what we usually play actually...it will definitely be more summer beach vibes.
4. What fellow Splash House artist are you most likely to watch front & center?
I think it's too hot to be front and center haha but definitely will be checking out gorgon city. Absolutely love their music.
5. Lastly, the obligatory question of What can we expect from you in the coming months/year ahead? Anything exciting on the horizon we should know about and share with the universe?
Well we just signed a record deal with RCA and Disruptor Records so we have been working extremely hard on more originals. We just finished one and cannot wait for it to come out. That should be out in the next month or two. So definitely be on the lookout for that. Also, we are touring pretty much every week till forever so definitely come catch us if we are in your city!
Bonus question: Describe yourself with three emojis.